The Girls’ Participation Task Force aims to bring girls into active participation within the United Nations system, especially with the Commission on the Status of Women. We help prepare, support and empower girls in their UN interactions as young delegates and ensure that girls are present, visible and heard in UN events and documents. During the Commission on the Status of Women we work to include girls as meaningful participants in parallel events and official proceedings. We meet twice a month on Wednesdays at 4 pm, in the Girl Scouts USA office. Please contact Adwoa Aidoo, Global Action Manager at Girls Scouts USA, for the next meeting date and details about getting to the meeting.
Task Force on Advocacy
The WGG Task Force on Advocacy has as its purpose to assist in making the girl child visible in documents, parallel events, and high level meetings: with permanent missions and UN agencies.
We follow the work and publications of commissions, high level meetings, the Third Committee of the General Assembly and UN agencies. In short, we are directly advocating for girls’ rights as are all WGG members. We do this in the manner described below
After preparation, we:
- Facilitate and share fact sheets on the potentialities and also the risks that are unique to girls
- Communicate our input to resolutions of the Third Committee members, work of the Commission on the Status of Women, as well as UN agencies who focus on women and children in order to make girls more visible
Our manners of advocacy are the following.
- Early contact with key members of the UN and UN agencies.
- Visits to key permanent missions.
- Ongoing offering of language via e-mail.
- Discussion with UN agencies about the need to recognize the unique needs, and also the unique contributions of girls to society.
Research and Writing
The WGG Research and Writing Task Force prepares written statements for submission to UN Commissions and other meetings and develops talking points for use in advocacy.
Protecting Girls from Violence
The Task Force to Prevent Violence Against Girls is busy planning a number of exciting events. We will be sponsoring a parallel event during the CSW Conference on Girls Safety in Homes, Communities & Schools. The panel discussion will feature best practices on ensuring safety as well as what girls can do to protect themselves. Additionally, we’re planning on awareness campaigns in conjunction with other organizations to alert the public on the issues of trafficking and its impact on society. For more information, please contact our Chair, Rosalee Keech firstname.lastname@example.org.